We are fired up to bring you an interview with fitness all-star Jagroop Singh. Jagroop owns and operates Spartan Health Club, one of the leading gyms in Jammu (J&K), India. He is known for helping people to build the body they want and be more awesome. We wanted to pick Jagroop’s brain to help us get the most out of his motivational life experiences and become better fitness professionals.
Enjoy our Q&A with Jagroop Singh!
How and when did you start training?
As a young kid I wasn’t really interested in aesthetic bodybuilding, but I wanted to build strength and improve my physique. Eventually, when I noticed my gains and started getting a positive feeling, I got highly involved in it. There were people around me who wanted to see me fail, but I kept my head down, stayed focused, worked hard and succeeded.
What mistakes did you make as a newbie?
Like most of the newbies, I used to over-train myself thinking that I’ll grow bigger in lesser amount of time.
We know consistency is the key, what tips would you give to anyone struggling to stay consistent?
Your goals should be your motivation to stay consistent and if you don’t have a goal, you have to set one up! It can become difficult to stay motivated, it happens to everyone, but we all have to be patient. Most important, always ask yourself why did you start in the first place. Become your own answer. Remember, this a field which requires dedication and perseverance.
Do you listen to music whilst training?
No. Listening to music while training usually distracts me, so I avoid it.
What are you most proud of?
I am very proud of all my achievements to present date, but my first gold medal for the title of Mr. Punjab Jr. is something I can never forget. People used to say I’m nothing. I didn’t even have enough money to compete for various titles. Now-a-days if I compete for any title (small or big), I go with a winning mindset, and this is what I recommend to all my clients/friends because only a winning mindset can produce winning results.
Do you bulk and cut or stay lean year round?
I try to stay lean all year.
What is your training routine like?
My workout routine is quite simple and basic, and it suits my body well. I generally train single muscle on one day and double-split on the other. So that way, I never miss any muscle group.
Who are your favorite athletes, bodybuilders or fitness models?
I like to keep it old school, I am a huge fan of the bodybuilding physiques from the golden era, my favorite being Arnold Schwarzenegger, not just because he was a real artist of aesthetics, but he’s is also an all-rounder. Whatever he chose to do, bodybuilding, acting or business, he nailed it.
What supplements do you use?
My must haves are:
- Whey Protein
I’m not a big fan of pre-workout and generally don’t recommend it either as it becomes a kind of addiction later. It’s better to have a good pre-workout meal or coffee and hit the gym.
What top 3 tips would you give to anyone wanting Install Muscles?
- Be patient – A lot of people are looking for results too fast in order to feel good about themselves. Train hard, eat clean, rest well and the results will start to appear slowly, but remember to enjoy the journey.
- Discipline – A disciplined mind helps train more and complain less. When building up a physique, always focus on trying to build the best version of yourself and not to compete against others, nothing in this world beats a good mirror.
- Do not copy anyone blindly – This is the most common mistake every beginner level gym enthusiast does. You need to understand that every individual’s body is different. What may work on him/her may not work for you. So, it’s better to consult your trainer before starting or copying any workout program that you have seen on YouTube or anywhere else.
Jagroop Singh (Sonu)
Located: Jammu (J&K, India)
Weight: 72 Kgs
Latest posts by Ashwin Kak (see all)
- How To Build Muscle On A Keto Diet - March 22, 2019
- Beginner Workout Mistakes To Avoid And Never Make Them Again - March 21, 2019
- Blueberry Cheesecake Protein Shake - March 21, 2019
- 5 Home Gym Equipment For Everyone - February 13, 2019
- How To Lose Weight: 3 New Diets - January 29, 2019